• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Which Biplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin91

Registered Users
Reaction score
Last Fall, after a little more than a year of trying to convince me not to get a Pitts, my father flew my old S-1C, and when the canopy slid back he had a huge grin on his face :) Well as the weather has been getting warmer, my father and brother have been talking about selling the 7ECA and getting a biplane.

They're both a little more conservative than me, preferring seat cushions to a metal seat pan, and a bit more visibility than you'd find in a Pitts. We ruled out the S-2A, S-2E, Eagle, Acroduster Too, Starduster Too, and Acro Sport II.

We narrowed it down to two planes, a light Skybolt or a reasonably priced Great Lakes. We love the Great Lakes, but it seems difficult to find one for 65k or less (our budget). The Skybolts on the other hand, tend to be very heavy. We're not looking for a fancy paint job or a low time airplane, just a good flier. If it's a Skybolt, our cut-off empty weight is 1,100lbs, and it'd have to have a fixed pitch parallel valve 320 or 360.

Thoughts? Opinions? Know of any planes that'd fit the mission?

Latest posts

Back