• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Which Primer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumman AA5

Reaction score
Hello Gaggle & Jason:

I looked at this site because a friend has pointed me in the direction of SS paint systems.
I joined this site because my first scan of the site Jason Gerard offered information on the SS paint system.
So, if I may I would like to start with a few questions:
1 - I will be painting an aluminum plane, but there is more to it than just aluminum. There is:
Bare aluminum
Painted aluminum
ABS Plastic
Fiberglass
Raw Ferrous Steel
What system would you recommend for all these mediums?

2 - What "Primer" would bond to all the above mediums?

3 - What "Primer" would PREP both the bare and painted aluminum?

4 - What "Primer" <-- Notice I am concentrating on the primer because without a great primer and primer bond the best finish coat won't last long.

5 - So, what PRIMER do you recomend for all these different base materials?

6 - I am planning on sanding the primer coat to get the smoothness I wish. I have been reading different thoughts that:
a> EPOXY Primer will not bond well to bare aluminum and requires a Chem Film before painting. Is this true?
b> Self-Etching Primer is good for bonding to Bare Aluminum but nothing else. Is this true?
c> Self-Etching Primer is not sandable. Is this true?
d> EPOXY Primer - If I use an EPOXY Primer I should prep the bare aluminum with a Self-Etching primer first AND a Self-Etching primer will bond to AL the mentioned materials. Is this true?

7 - I plan on using a HVLP Gun.

8 - I will be taking advantage of your color matching, as I am looking for a very light gray.

OK, enough questions. THANK YOU for making yourself and company available for us.

Barry

Latest posts

Back