• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Wing rib jigs accuracy - Transferring plans to wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've just started a Skybolt build in the UK and am going to ask a few real newbie questions over the coming weeks so thanks in advance for any support. I'd also like to check this is the right tread for any 'general' build questions? I couldn't see a general area where I felt this fitted, so am posting here under the Skybolt thread.

I have started building my wing rib jigs. The process I've used is to trace the full scale rib plans, then place this over the wooden board which will be my jig base, then use a circular stencil to draw 5mm holes for jig pin locations. I've then drilled these using a hand power tool drill and glued metal pins into the locations. See photos attached.

My concern is the accuracy of the result, as when I've started to lay my 1/4 capping strip into the jig there is some play in the these wood strips' location (as opposed to being firmly held by the pins) caused by small inaccuracies in the pin locations. I'm only talking a couple of mm max, but I'm presuming I should be aiming for absolute accuracy where possible! Particularly as I'll just be storing up problems for when I come to fit the ribs to the spar and get good alignment etc.

Could anyone share any advice on how to improve the accuracy in my process? Is this an acceptable process I just need to be more careful!? Or how others have built their jigs? I also wondered what techniques everyone used to transfer plans to wood as I will also need to do this to get the correct shapes cut for the leading edge section of the rib.

Many thanks,

Chip
Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 21.33.40.png

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 21.33.53.png

Latest posts

Back