• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Acro II empty weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Weight of any airplane is a major issue. I have obsessed over the weight of my project from the beginning. Today I finally got the beast up on scales for a preliminary weight and balance check since it is getting close to the finish line and I wanted to make sure I didn't have to move anything after it was too late. Almost to late now anyway, but there is still some wiggle room.
Final result: Empty weight 889#!!
If it sounds like I am bragging... Make no mistake I am!
And that figure is with a solid metal prop at 35# and an angle valve IO-360.
For balance weights are:
Mains 408 each
Tailwheel bolt 73
I haven't done the calculations for balance yet but those numbers look pretty much proportional to what others have posted.
Aircraft is equipped as follows:
IO-360 A3B6-D
Sensenich 76-60 prop
14" mount
PC-680 battery
Skytec starter
Honda alternator
Matco wheels and brakes
Medium polyfiber with two colors aerothane
Maule tailwheel with custom aluminum spring.
Microair radio W/built in intercom
Add a pound for Microair transponder, (coax and antenna already installed)
No smoke system
No inverted oil system, I'm gettin' too old to hang upside down anyway!
I couldn't be more happy and relieved. Now I can finish it up and possibly save some more weight on the engine ie electronic ignition, Catto prop, Lighter induction system etc.
Truly a happy new year!!:D

Latest posts

Back