• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Airshow of the Cascades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Madras Oregon Air and Car Show. The good side of this event.

We my son and I have attended this event many times over the last several years, and here are some of the things that were not on the 6:00 O'clock news.

Had a pretty good trip over and back, head wind both ways, up through the Columbia river Gorge 7500', right turn at Hood river, up next to mount hood , then pretty much direct to Madras S33. Called 10 out and were told the airport was closed due to airshow performers practice ? There was nothing in the FSS briefing or on their web page that said it would be closed intermittently for for aerobatic practice. We were told by the airboss to hold 5 east of the airport and that it would take 4 or 5 min that turned into 10 and then 20 min. Not a big deal as we had plenty of fuel. But normally there is some sort of notam, or at least something on the airshow website?

Son Dan did a fine job of flying wing in route and in the hold, level at 6000 with this unexpected occurrence.

There did not seem to be as many show planes as in past years, most of the pilots are getting older and temps in the 90s. There were however more show cars than ever before. Erickson Air Museum flew one of their Corsairs Thurs day evening, and again on Saturday highlighting their most incredible collection.

Also during Friday they had a fire out west of the airport down in a canyon that requires a half dozen air drops to stop it, and to watch the spotter plane mark the hot spots and then the air tanker drop on that mark and finally put it out, was interesting even from as far away as we were.

I have been to so many airshows. Oshkosh 9 times in my airplane and twice driving that I rarely watch the whole show in detail, as once you see the best of the best one becomes a bit jaded. What I like is to be around our airplanes and talk with those interested as well as the spectators, that once told our airplanes are home built from plans cannot believe it. Especially father and son, ones painted the same.

One of the car guys wanted pictures of our airplanes with his hot rod, and the rest of the pictures should give one the flavor of what was there and the good side of these events.
Everything was just fine with more fly bys of Erickson's war birds and air tanker up to the opening act. Most were stunned by what happened when the 450 Stearman pranged it and finally realized the airshow was over and the crowd thinned out pretty quick after this leaving only the airplane people. They were in no hurry to open the airport or runway 34-16, and thought we might have to stay another night. But finally let those that wanted to use the short runway at their own risk 4-22 about 2700' x 50' with a good crosswind and high density altitude. Was not a problem for us, and once again Kudos to my son Dan as my wingman during this most challenging time.. Dave

SAM_1457 small.jpg

SAM_1461 small.jpg

SAM_1459 small.jpg

SAM_1462 small.jpg

SAM_1465 small.jpg

SAM_1473 small.jpg

SAM_1475 small.jpg

SAM_1476 small.jpg

SAM_1477 small.jpg

SAM_1478 small.jpg

SAM_1480 small.jpg

SAM_1481small.jpg