• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Beat the cold today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been unusually cold here, below freezing and down to the low 20's at night. Don't laugh too hard Larry. Last week I got to 4000 and called it quites. Today I dressed a little warmer and got to 10,000. At the last inspection I put foam donuts around the cabanes under the sheetmetal. That helped a lot. Today I used gap sealing tape around the holes where the gear makes it's exit. It worked out really well. It was 14 degrees at 10,000 but I expected it to be colder. I had dressed too warm. Tucked my bluejeans in my socks, my German Army wool pants that I used to wear climbing, flannel shirt, sweater, wool jacket, and my north face wind breaker. I was prepared for getting some kodaks. After the chute I could hardly move. Tough to get in, tough to get out. Had to use a ball point pen to push the rear canopy latch in place. As it turned out it was not needed. The tape worked very well. I think the sweater would have been enough. So heading home on the downhill run I was thinking I could put neoprene sheet around the gear legs but then I thought , why bother, the tape works great and it is clear.

The mountain is Mt. Baker, our resident volcano. 10,500 plus or minus. Climbed it a couple times in my younger days and my buddy and I each got a couple nice goats before it became wilderness area. The top crater is filled in with snow. The lower crater where the vapor comes out is rather warm and if you fly through it it smells of sulphur. In the summer there is a nice lake there. The snow is melted away and there was lots of it.

will

top of baker 128.jpg

top of baker 124.jpg

Latest posts

Back