• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Camping and Contests, A Checklist for Those Interested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I now have two contest under my belt during which I camped exclusively. The experience has been entirely positive. I have saved a little cash. But more importantly I have SLEPT. There is nothing like a Holiday Inn Express with truck drivers yapping in the corridor at 2am on the way to a cigarette run or a chittering girls' lacrosse team at a corporate Vermont B&B to properly destroy any hope of much needed sleep. The only drawback is that you might miss the bar or the banquet. (That might be a good thing if you've been following the recent "Exploder" discussion.)

Rain?

We had a whole night of it at Springfield on Saturday. I woke up twice because of the shear volume of drops hitting my bivy but quickly fell back to sleep. I woke rested, happy and dry.

Shower?

There's always a hose. After 9pm there's not a soul to see you in your skivvies unless a cop drives by.

It is in my interest that no one else at northeast regional contests camp. If I continue to do it alone the quiet is certain to continue. So keep calling it weird. Or cheap. At the morning brief, look at my rested and refreshed presence with a little pity as you recall the audible phone fight in room 212 that woke you up at midnight. But if you want to give it a try, here is a list of everything I have needed:

(This checklist incorporates the IAC Competitor Checklist. Your results will vary of course.)

Checklist in Google Docs Format

I have what I think is a standard size Pitts turtledeck and everything fits. Although this time I did have to secure a spare quart of oil below the rudder footrest. Every other aerobatic airplane that I can think of other than a 1D has even more storage. This should be easily doable to any competitor traveling solo.

Sorry if I sound like I invented camping from an airplane. Obviously I am very late to the party. But it seems to be--if not a lost art--a rare art at modern contests. I think it deserves a comeback.

Latest posts

Back