• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

"Damaged as delivered" and "Possible hidden damage"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This came up in my build thread, but I'm sure there are people who are not excited about reading through that whole thing, who will also benefit from this bit of advice.

When my new spars arrived, the box they came in was damaged. Clearly it had received some abuse somewhere along the way, although I wasn't sure what had happened. However, when I checked out the box (before signing the receipt), it was also clear that the visible damage only went through about half the layers of packaging. Based on that, I signed for the box, thinking that the only choices I had were to accept the thing unconditionally, or send it back. I did not want to send it back after waiting so long.

Fortunately for me, the spars inside were undamaged, but in conversation with Aircraft Spruce afterwards, I was told what I should have done.

If you get a shipment that shows the least sign of distress: bumps, scrapes, punctures, anything other than a perfectly clean box, make a note on the form before signing. That note should indicate that you have reservations about the condition of your shipment. The ACS rep I was talking to recommended the phrase, "Possible hidden damage", and Larry Lyons suggested "Damaged as delivered."

What this does is provide you with a legal or policy pathway to file a damage claim with the shipping company in the future. If you just sign with no note, like I did, then the company can legitimately say that you signed for the box indicating no damage, and they can't be held liable for any damage discovered after that signature. In my case, I would have been out a set of 8 spars that cost around $1000 and, more importantly, 9 months of waiting.

Most people I've mentioned this to have expressed surprise that it was a possibility, so I'm hoping I can help others know about this important protection option you have when shipping often-expensive and often-fragile airplane parts.

You do have a third choice beyond refusing the shipment, or accepting it as undamaged. Just add a little note showing your reservations before you sign, and it's your get-out-of-jail-free card if you do find any damage.

Latest posts

Back