• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Daydreaming.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashflyer

Reaction score
I've been knocking this around in my head for a few weeks now and need to get it out. It was an idea to have a "fast" Skybolt. I've done zero engineering consideration - just a bunch of "hey, change this" brainstorming. And it really isn't a Skybolt any more.

I can build it... I just don't know if it is flyable.
Please pile on all the possible "you can't do that" advice so that I can let this ridiculous idea die.

Sometimes my brainstorms have lightning. Other times, it's just rain.

See pic. Here is the summary:

Use Grove gear.
Eliminate front hole, panel, seat, etc. Reshaped fuel tank will occupy some of the area.
Reshape rudder.
Shorten rudder and elevator.
Reshape belly, raise tailwheel attachment 3 inches by reducing overall height of empennage.
Shorten turtledeck 2 inches.
Lower top wing to the fuselage.
Reduce sweep of top wing.
Change all airfoils to Clark Y
Build wings with laminated ribs to eliminate compression bars.
Build in lower ailerons only.
Shorten wings by 1-bay.
Reshape wingtips to "wolf style".
Reshape horiz stabs and elevator - similar to rudder
Powerplant: 200hp Deltahawk diesel

fastbolt-3.jpg

Latest posts

Back