• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Drill 1/8" through gusset for rib stitch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm trying to decide on the Jungster 1 if I should......

1: Drill a 1/8th hole in some 1/8 thick gussets at the rear spar,so I can rib stitch in one run the whole length.

2: Stop at the stitch before and put a screw instead of the next thread. (this screw would be in an epoxy sealed hole to prevent moisture issues and would be only through 1/16 thick ply cap strip not into the rib. measured the pull out of the #4 screw at over 5kg /11 lbs)

3: Skip that stitch and feel fluffy about the 1 1/4" wide cap strip and glue (SS ? 3M30NF) holding that section down ok......

I'm using 2" stitch spacing and need to drill holes in the cap strip to offset the stitching due to the 1/2x1/2 spruce sticks running along the ribs. I hope the pics paint the picture I'm looking at ok.

I did a crude test with a gusset where I drilled a hole in one and crushed them in a vice. The drilled one seemed to fracture to the hole and seemed to bend a fraction less than the non drilled one. I'm not really comfy with drilling holes in them.....
The proto was dived to 200mph so I set the VNE there. I'm not planning on getting that fast but............might happen ay.

The location is near the rear of the airfoil I guess there is significantly less pull force on the fabric back there even in a dive?
What’s a ball park pull force per sq inch to be expected on something like a Jungster 1?
I’ve heard 1/2 lb per sq inch but don’t know if that’s very accurate.
What would a Pitts S1C see?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B725395A-CA82-483B-B310-6FD3EF54983C.jpeg
    B725395A-CA82-483B-B310-6FD3EF54983C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0