• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Landing speeds, methods.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpin

Reaction score
WOW! While Pigpen is working on maneuvers resulting in spins (Inverted / upright) I am still trying to get my landing to be more of a landing as opposed to an arrival. We both bought our aircraft about the same time. Regardless, my landings seem to be getting worst, not better. Though I would run some data by the forum and see if there are any suggestions. The aircraft was built in 1977 and sports the shorter gear, a Scott 3200 tail wheel, and is powered by a 200 HP IO360 turning a three blade fixed pitch Catto prop. Empty weight is about 1160 lbs. I weight 180 and passengers generally not over 200 lbs. I believe the airspeed indicator to be accurate +- 5 MPH. I used to use 100 MPH as my approach speed. This speed seemed to be ok as long as I did not flare too high. I am trying to bring it down to 90 MPH. In wings level flight I see my rate of decent around 700 FPM. When banking down wind through final to touch down it can go up to 1500. At 90 I seem to drop in. My last landing I used 100 and added power at the last moment. It was greased on in a 3 point attitude. I am beginning to think 90 will work but will need to add power to arrest my decent. I would be very interested in the methods and speeds others are using in the Skybolt.

Latest posts

Back