• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Spar dimensions verses 1:1 rib drawings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Following my previous post about jig accuracy, I’m rebuilding my jig for the upper wing.

I’ve 3d printed sections of spar profile to form part of the jig. However I’ve noticed that when built to the dimensions stated on the plan, they come up about 1/16 short in the vertical.

Plans state front spar for upper wing should be: 4 5/16 front height and 4 5/8 rear height.

Rear spar for upper wing should be 3 5/16 front height and 3 1/16 rear height.

The 3d printed parts are accurate and fit perfectly in the 1 inch width, but are both approx 1/16 out in the vertical - see pictures.

So my questions are -
Has anyone else noticed this discrepancy?
Are the plan dimensions correct - can someone confirm upper wing spar dimensions?
Do I increase the size of the spar sections to match the plans or use these spar sections and deviate from the 1:1 scale rib plans slightly?

As always, all help much appreciated.

Chip

Attachments

• IMG_7052.jpeg
    IMG_7052.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_7053.jpeg
    IMG_7053.jpeg
    2 MB

Latest posts

Back