• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Starduster SA 100 Trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on a Starduster SA 100, that has a jackscrew controlling the leading edge of horizontal stabilizer for trim, there is about 1.5 inches of total travel on the forward end of the stabilizer using this trim system. I have not flown the A/C, but have been advised by a past pilot (very high time) that adjusting the trim on the ground was easy. But in the air it was nearly impossible (two hands required). The jackscrew is operated by a Cessna style trim wheel & drum with an endless cable to the jackscrew, the cable is not slipping on the drum or on the attach point on the jackscrew. I have cleaned and lubed the jackscrew and it operates from the cockpit with two fingers on the ground, again I have not flown the A/C, but it does have about 1,000 hr.'s on the clock. I have worked on a bunch of fabric Pipers with this same setup with no problems. Any ideas ? has anyone else run into this issue?
Thanks Phil

Latest posts

Back