• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Suitablility of mission

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering building a Hatz Classic, and wanted to check in with you folks on a few points.

First, me: I'm a ~180 (and rising) hour pilot in Seattle. I have a brand new tailwheel endorsement, and about 13 hours in a Champ 7AC, but zero in anything with the correct number of wings. Most of what I rent is Cessna 152/172s and Piper Cherokee/Warriors if I need to get anywhere. Most of my "get somewhere" flying is within about 60 miles of Seattle, but I occasionally take longer trips, and frequently fly with a passenger or two. I'm 6'2", about 220 lbs, and unlikely to change significantly in weight for the foreseeable future.

My goals for the Hatz (or whatever plane I decide to build -- this is about model #7 of 7 so far in my protracted decision-making process) are as follows:

* Neat vintage plane. If I'm going to build myself a plane, it should be cool, and a radial-powered plane "from the 30s" is quite high on that list. R3600 is the current thinking, but practicality may at some point rear its head and point me toward an O-320 instead. I'm currently leaning toward a red-and-creme scalloped paint scheme, though that is so far in the future as to be meaningless.

* Low-n-slow, sightseeing flights. At least half of the time I have passengers, we're flying around just because flying around is cool, or to see some sight: Seattle's downtown at night, fireworks on the 4th of July, Mount Rainier, the tulip fields in the Skagit Valley, etc.

* Some light cross-country. My parents are in the Portland area, which is about a 2 hour trip in a spam can, and I would certainly head that way on occasion, probably with a friend and a small duffel of clothes. I find myself out at Orcas Island (45 minutes by Cessna) at least once a year for $100 hamburgers. This is the category I'm least worried about (since I can always rent Wichita's finest), but it'd be delightful if the plane was up to a 100-250 mile trip every so often.

* Basically no aerobatics. I have a friend whose eyes lit up and said, "Can we do a loop!?" when I told him about the Hatz. I am not particularly attracted to aerobatics, and don't like roller coasters, but I could see taking some basic aerobatic training and getting proficient on loops and rolls to please passengers. I solemnly pledge to never attempt aerobatics without training and 5000 feet under me, so no worries on that front.

* I need to fit. At 6'2" with longish legs (33" inseam), I'm pretty big for a lot of designs. I sat in a CB-1 rear pit this weekend, and mostly fit, though my left leg hit a diagonal before I could fully depress the pedal. It was tight, but I understand the Classic has a larger cockpit, more designed for big pilots such as myself. Possibly also easier access to the front pit?

So, based on that list, am I looking at the right thing? It seems so from what I've been able to find, but I'm hoping to get feedback from people who've actually spent time in a Classic.

Thanks for any feedback you have!

Latest posts

Back