• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

tailwheel steeing chains you run em tight or loose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Ok guys....
I have read some threads on this and watched this video about tailwheel rigging [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtokU8mIDQk[/ame]
The video makes no sence to me because he set the chains up with the rear off the ground sitting on a jack. Maybe I am missing something but this should change a huge amount once the airplane sits on the ground and with it loaded. Right? I bet every plane changes differently with more or less tail weight.
I just got the black eagle and the tailwheel was just worn out and binding up. The leaf spring looked pretty beat and the chains had lots of slack. I got a new #6131 aviation products tailwheel along with a new leaf spring. I hooked the chains up and they do not really have any up or down slack. With the plane on the ground unloaded I can move the rudder side to side probably a inch before the tailwheel starts to turn. I flew earlier and I was really on top of it, seemed really squirley (maybe the Staudacher with the locking tailwheel spoiled me)?
At touchdown it tracked straight and felt normal. Seems the slower I got the more twitchy or squirley the plane got. Not sure If I should loosen the chains up some? I need to check tire pressure also, it is still the same as it was delivered. What do you guys do with chain slack?

Latest posts

Back