• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

The ol' 3 point vs. wheel landing discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittsBird ZB

Registered Users
Reaction score
I know there's threads on here with this topic, because I've read them some time ago. I did a quick search to find one, and it didn't reveal anything, so I took a shortcut and started a new one!

I like 3 point landings. In 6 years of flying the S-2B, I had yet to have a reason to wheel it. Even in strong crosswinds, it's such a bulldog with complete control authority that it handles them with ease. I've read lots of opinions on the subject, and of course, there seems to be a majority consensus, but certainly no wrong or right answer. It's whatever you prefer. Simple. Of course, there's some 2 point logic behind dealing with crosswinds or being able to see over the nose better. Some airplanes may lend themselves one way or another, I suppose. Years ago I was talking to a P-51 pilot who said he always 3 pointed it. I asked why most guys seem to wheel land them - his answer: "I don't know, the tail has to come down sometime". That stuck with me. (By the way, if you ever sit in 3 pt attitude in a 51 and an S-2, you can see a heck of a lot more over the nose of the 51!).

Anyhow, this past weekend the active runway at my destination, a regional airport with long runways, was a runway in which my hangar is down at the departure end (landing 01, hangar at north end). So, I figure, why not do a wheel landing to save a long taxi.

I'm convinced the hot rod bipe airshow guys wheel land simply because it's visually more exciting to the crowd on the line to see the high speed approach.

I think 3 point is likely better for the longevity of main tires and wheel bearings, but 2 point is likely easier on the tail wheel (debatable of course).

I'm sure I will still 3 point 99% of the time, but it's always good to have options.....

Here's video of the landing:

https://youtu.be/eWkvLsLTL4Q

Jason

Latest posts

Back