• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

What the hell did I do ??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobradriver

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

Knowing it was going to be even longer to get parts for my project, I went ahead and bought a flying Model 12. I purchased the aircraft from Bill Bolin. It was built by Neil Forsyth in South Africa. It has plans built wings and an HP fuselage. The good thing about this airplane is that it's just rough enough I don't feel bad about beating it up flying in and out of grass strips. Bill was kind enough to deliver the aircraft on a 90+ degree day here to 3M5. Thanks Bill !!!

That said a couple of pics.....

pittsmodel12number1.jpg

newmodel12.jpg

pittsmodel12number2.jpg

pittsmodel12number4.jpg

pittsmodel12number3.jpg

Aerobatics in this hot rod next ???

:)

bo105pic1.jpg

So Bill delivered the aircraft on Friday. He talked with my friend Brant for an hour or so. After that conversation he basically said Brant was more qualified to fly the 12 than he was.... :)

Brants background is a couple of hundred hours of Yak 52 time, a shitload of Stearman ride and tour time, Skybolt, S2B and a Baby Greats Lakes. I'm sure there is a ton more stuff that I'm forgetting. He currently is flying a Cessna 501 for someone he knows (and he owns a computer company). He has also flown quite a bit of aerobatics...

So we checked over the aircraft, fueled it up and set some hard and fast rules for the first flight. Not down and braking by the wind sock? Go around.

After two tries, if we are not successful, we divert to a local airport with 6500 feet of runway (KMDQ). We have 2500 on our grass strip here at Moontown.

It actually went smooth. First try was a go around. He bounced a little hard, threw in the towel and throttled out. This things pulls pretty good. :) Second time he greased it in. We ended up doing 6 landings on Friday before we threw in the towel due to heat. On Saturday a couple other morons I run around with showed up and we came up with a plan to get everyone front and back seat time. We ended up burning something like 70 gallons of fuel Friday and Saturday. I now have three people who can help me get to the point I can go see Larry King or Jared at Gambit Aviation for some advanced aerobatic instruction.

As an FYI...All three guys that are helping me are CFI's that have flown pretty advanced aerobatics prior to me buying this thing.

Many thanks to...

Bill Bolin
Brant Kyser
Chris Davis
Aaron Komara

Continued on my next post.....

Latest posts

Back