• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Cnverting to the three-piece upper wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey there -

My Firebolt project has the single-piece 24-foot wing configuration...the upper spars are already made up and the cabanes are welded to the fuselage. Looking at the options listed on the Steen website, I gather I'm looking at cutting up my upper spars and removing and re-welding the cabanes to accomodate a center section upper wing. (I've seen the pics posted on this website of an example Skybolt with this mod.)

Question for the group: should I be contacting Steen for a revised set of wing drawings to work from for this task? I am pretty sure I like the idea of not having to move that one-piece upper wing around, the extra fuel, and the better visibility through the revised cabanes. I figure now is the time to make this decision before I start building wings.

I know everyone has been wondering when this San Diego-based Firebolt will start coming together. I think the planets are starting to alignfor me. I've finished my Powerplant rating and am done with night school and am beginning to get antsy. Also planning to set up a workshop in my home garage, where I can spend a couple hours a night on this project without having to hoof it in traffic to the airport.

I'm also spendingtimereading the Builder's Manual and have to hand it to Randy and the crew - it reads wonderfully and I am finding it very useful.

More later,
Colleen

Latest posts

Back