• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

"The Patience Stick" - or - How I got my kids involved.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Scrapper

Cassutt freak
Reaction score
Thought I would share this. Not many others in life could grasp what I'm talking about except you folks.

I screwed up a few years ago. I started a business and forgot about my family.

It wasn't intentional, things just have a way of taking on a life of its own. I mean, I started small but then it grew. The more it grew the more distant my family became. It got to the point where my wife and kids started planning events without me because I was so busy serving customers.

So then all of a sudden I was working on a service call, probably a Saturday or Sunday when my wife sent me a text photo of the kids. It was a cute picture. I wasn't in it.

So I set out on a path to fix it.

The little biplane made from scrap was perfect. It was my chance to fix my screw ups and to get my 3 kids involved in something where we could all have fun.

At first it was hard. They didn't want any part of it. But like most things in life it just takes a little time and patience.

So far we have been building rib components but it wasn't until this weekend that I have really seen a great family effort and involvement that was meaningful.

The patience stick was what did it. What started out as a jig to sand the round gussets to final shape has become a game of sorts. It has become a game where the kids try and out do each other with craftsmanship. "Who can produce the finest part" has become the new talk in this family.

With about 700+ gussets to mark out, cut and sand that's over 2,000 separate operations to complete. That's over 2,000 opportunities to bond as a family.

And now, instead of my wife sending me a text of the kids, the pictures on the refrigerator are being replaced by photos of real memories.

Biplanes. It's more than just a pair of wings.

Latest posts

Back